144-Hour Visa-Free Transit Guide at Chengdu Shuangliu Airport(CTU)
From Jan 11, 2019, 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit policy has been implemented at Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport(CTU). The policy applies to citizens from 53 countries who hold valid international travel documents, and a passenger ticket for connecting travel to a third country (region) with confirmed seats and a departure time within 144 hours(6 days).
The Flow to Apply for 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit at Chengdu Shuangliu Airport(CTU)
1. Inform the carrier before you boarding your fligh at check-in counter
2. Fill an Arrival/Departure Card
3. Upon arrival at Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport(CTU), go throught China Customs in international arrival hall of Terminal 1, and then apply for the 144-Hour stay permit at frontier inspection / Immigration
4. After leave Airport, traveller only can visit the administrative areas of Chengdu City.
5. Back to Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport(CTU) in 144 hours.
6. Claim the luggage(If needed)
7. Go through the customs
8. Check in your next flight and leave
Documents Needed for Application
1. Passport valid for at least 3 months from the date of entry
2. Ticket to a third country
3. Fully completed Arrival/Departure Card
China frontier inspection / Immigration, international arrival hall, floor 1, Terminal 1
(+86) 28 85205555
(+86) 180 3069 5002
Europe (39 nations): Belarus, Monaco, Austria, the Kingdom of Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Albania.
The Americas (6 nations): the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and Chile.
Oceania (2 nations): Australia and New Zealand.
Asia (6 nations): South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.
According to the Ministry of Public Security regulations, individuals who do not hold a valid Chinese passport and who apply for 144-hour visa-free transit status should meet the following requirements:
I. They must be citizens from one of the 53 eligible countries specified, and hold valid international travel documents certifying their nationality and identity;
II. They must have a valid passenger ticket for connecting travel (including an airplane ticket, ferry ticket or train ticket), to a third country or region. The ticket for travel must specify the traveler has a confirmed seat and that the departure time is within 144 hours of arriving at Chengdu Shuangliu Airport(CTU) Or he/ she must possess relevant supporting documents.
III. Travellers must stay in the administrative areas of Chengdu city
After document examination and verification is conducted by the border authority at the port of Chengdu Shuangliu Airport(CTU), applicants who meet the above requirements will be issued with a temporary entry permit which will enable them to enter and stay in Chengdu for 144 hours according to regulations.
1. Citizens who do not hold a Chinese passport and who have successfully applied for 144-hour visa-free transit can stay in the administrative areas of Chengdu City for up to 144 hours. Failure to comply with the terms of the visa-free transit will be punished according to relevant regulations.
2. Individuals travelling on the 144-hour visa-free transit and staying in a hotel or accommodation other than hotels (including the self-purchased house, rented house and borrowed house) in China are required to register their temporary residence according to law. Those who stay in a hotel in China are required to check in and adhere to the hotel's check in and personal identification protocol. Those who stay in accommodation other than hotels are required to register their temporary residence with the local public security facility within 24 hours of arrival, either in person, or by the person who is providing the accommodation. Registration is required at every residence that the individual stays in during the 144 hour visa-free transit. If an individual changes residence multiple times, he/she is required to register with the public security facility for each place of residence where he/she is staying, within 24 hours of arrival.
1、How is the duration of the 144 hour visa-free transit policy calculated?
The duration of stay as referred to in the 144-hour visa-free transit policy will begin from 00:00 o'clock the following day, after entry in port at Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport(CTU).
In accordance with the 144-hour visa-free transit policy, from 00:00 o'clock the following day after entry in Chengdu, he/she will be allowed to stay for six days in Chengdu City without an entry visa.
2, If citizens from any of the 53 designated countries eligible for the 144-hour visa-free transit policy do not hold a valid connecting travel ticket to a third country; can he/she apply for 144-hour visa-free transit?
According to the regulations pertaining to the 144-hour visa-free transit policy, any applicant must hold a valid connecting passenger ticket for travel, with confirmed seats, and a departure time within 144 hours of arrival in Chengdu, or he/ she must possess relevant supporting documents. The applicant must have these documentations before applying for the144-hour visa-free transit.
3, If citizens from any of the 53 designated countries arrive in Chengdu with a valid ticket for travel to their country of origin, with a confirmed seat and with a departure time within 144 hours of entry to Chengdu, would he/she be eligible for the 144 hour visa-free transit policy?
The policy applies for 144-hour visa-free transit rather than visa-free entry. Therefore, the applicant should transit to a third country or region to be eligible for this policy. Travelers returning to their country of origin would not be eligible for this policy.
4, What kind of punishment will be imposed on those who have successfully applied for the 144-hour visa-free transit but have stayed in China for more than 144 hours when they depart from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport(CTU)?
According to the relevant regulations of the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China, individuals who do not hold a valid Chinese passport and are suspected of illegal residence in China will be warned. In case of gross violation, the offender will be fined RMB500 per day for illegal residence, not exceeding RMB10,000 in total, or he/she will be detained for 5-10 days. Anyone who violates the relevant laws and regulations for the 144 hour visa-free transit policy may not be accepted for future applications for visa-free transit.
5, Who can I contact with enquiries regarding the 144-hour visa-free transit policy?
For questions relating to the 144-hour visa-free transit policy, including handling of entry and departure procedures, please call the airport hotline (+86) 28 85205555, (+86) 180 3069 5002
6、Where can I find FREE LEFT LUGGAGE SERVICE?
To offer convenience to 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit passengers, Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport(CTU) will provide free left luggage service. With their temporary entry permit, passengers can enjoy the free service (one piece of luggage) in the luggage counter of the airport.